Lake Tekapo is a beautiful village located on State Highway 8, roughly mid-way between
(3.25 hours drive) and
(3.5 hours drive), on New Zealand's stunning South Island. It's also around 1 hours drive from the "must see"
Lake Tekapo is one of our favorite spots and is a great place to stay. If
you are traveling between Queenstown and Christchurch its a good
overnight break, but there is so much to do in the area, many visitors
choose to stay longer (scroll down to see a few suggestions for things
Perhaps best known for it's stunning turquoise waters, views of the snow capped Southern Alps, and the iconic Church of the Good Shepherd (one of New Zealand's most photographed attractions), Lake Tekapo is one of those places that will have you taking picture after picture.
When we first visited Lake Tekapo many years ago, accommodation choices were very limited. But these days, there is everything from camp grounds and backpacker accommodation to 5 star resorts.
Because the views are so amazing we always try to get a room overlooking the lake. Although it may cost a little more, we think it's well worth it. Picture yourself relaxing with a wine or beer, taking in those beautiful views!
Peppers Bluewater Resort has everything expected of a Peppers resort, with a good range of room types including standard hotel rooms and villas, great views of the lake (very important here) and a range of facilities such as an onsite restaurant.
The YHA hostel offers good value accommodation and amazing lake views, and is a short walk to the villages shops and eateries. And there are also several other backpacker lodges in Lake Tekapo.
We have stayed at the Lake Tekapo Scenic Resort twice and found the accommodation clean and comfortable, with great lake views. It's also centrally located.
Lake Tekapo also has a good range of B&Bs.
The Lake Tekapo Motels and Holiday Park has a wide range of accommodation including campervan and tent sites, cabins, motel rooms, and a backpacker lodge.
Click on the following link to search a full range of:
Here are a few suggestions:
* Lake Tekapo is one of New Zealand's premier star gazing spots. Take a night trip to nearby Mt John Observatory.
* Fish for trout and salmon in the cool waters of the region.
* Take a scenic flight for amazing views of the lake and Southern Alps, including Mt Cook and nearby glaciers.
* Relax after a long day in the invigorating hot pools at Tekapo Springs
and Spa. Or try their in line skating rink in the warmer months, or
their ice rink during the cooler months.
* Entertain the kids at the local mini golf course, or have a game of golf at Tekapo's MacKenzie Golf Club, New Zealand's highest 9 hole course.
* Kayak on the calm waters of the lake, or on the thrilling man made white water course.
* Take a guided hike or horse trek in the stunning local countryside.
* Visit the Mt Cook Salmon Farm, a twenty minute drive from Lake Tekapo village, for some of the best farmed salmon available.
* Ski at the nearby Round Hill and Mount Dobson ski fields.
Lake Tekapo Accommodation - Top Of Page